This 5-step full body workout designed by iGnite founder Neissa Springmann uses only one dumbbell, making it perfect for at home or on a trip when you want to get in a great workout but have minimal space and equipment.
Complete this 5-exercise series up to 3 times (depending on your fitness level), resting 20-30 seconds between each exercise. Feel free to use a lower weight dumbbell (2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 lb. , etc.) that is appropriate for your personal strength level.
So grab a dumbbell, press play and enjoy a great workout!
First, be sure to warm up for 3-5 minutes. Good warm up options are:
- brisk power walk
- jumping jacks
- march in place
Exercise 1: Squat to Press
- Holding the dumbbell to your heart, squat making sure knees don’t protrude over toes, keeping your weight in your heels and belly button pulled in toward your lower back. Inhale down, exhale up.
- Complete 20 reps.
- To diversify, step to the side and squat, 10 each side. Works quads, hamstrings, glutes & shoulders
Exercise 2: Plank to Row
- Get in the plank position, grab the dumbbell with the left hand and pull the dumbbell up by your side, lifting up and down. Keep your shoulders & hips squared, your shoulders elbows & hips in alignment, and your glutes squeezed.
- Complete 10 per arm.
- Works the lats, rhomboids and core.
Exercise 3: Static Lunge to Reach & Stretch
- Step your right foot out in a lunge position, focusing on externally rotating your knee and maintaining that rotation throughout the exercise to keep your knee and hip in alignment. Stay in the static lunge position and reach the dumbbell as far out over your toes as you can while keeping a straight back. Then reach all the way up over your head and stretch it back.
- Keep your core nice and tall, your front knee at a 90 degree angle, your back heel lifted off the ground, the back knee slightly bent, and your toes and hips squared straight forward. If the shoulders get too tired, just curl the dumbbell in using a bicep curl.
- Complete 10 per leg.
Exercise 4: Plank with a Cross Row
- Get in the plank position and place the dumbbell below your right hand. With your left hand, reach across and pick up the dumbbell and pull it across to the left side of your body and repeat. Exhale on the pull.
- Complete 10 cross rows with each arm.
Exercise 5: Lunge to a Twist
- Lunge forward with the right leg, arms holding the dumbbell strong and externally rotate the torso to the right keeping the lower body completely still. Push off and step back up to standing. Then, lunge forward with the left leg and externally rotate your torso to the left. Keep your lunge nice and long.
- Do 10 of these, alternating 5 one direction, 5 the other. Then, do 10 total lunges with an INTERNAL rotation, 5 each leg.
- Works the core, the lower body and the biceps.
- Go-To Travel & Vacation Workout
- 4 Yoga Poses to Relieve Tension in the Neck, Shoulders & Spine
- 3 Step At-Home Total Body Workout