In case you are struggling with your motivation to exercise, and specifically to add strength training to your workout, here are a few facts you will want to know:
- For every pound of muscle you gain, your body burns 50 extra calories every day of the week!
- Strong muscles, tendons and ligaments are much more capable of withstanding stress, and improved flexibility gained by strength training also reduces the likelihood of pulled muscles and back pain.
- Resistance Exercise can reduce bone deterioration and build bone mass, preventing Osteoporosis at any age!
- Working your muscles inhibits the affects of sarcopenia, the age-related loss of muscle mass, strength and function. After the age of 30 there is a loss of 3 – 5% of muscle mass per decade, making day to day tasks gradually harder to perform and slowing down metabolism.
- Strengthening your muscles has been proven to have a positive affect on insulin resistance, blood pressure, body fat and gastrointestinal transit time — all factors that are linked to illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- Best of all, you feel healthier, have more confidence, have a more positive outlook on life and look better!
Yipee for a stronger, fitter, healthier and happier life!
John Litchfield, Weightlossresources.co.uk