Goals are like magnets. They’ll attract the things that make them come true.
– Tony Robbins
Point to Ponder:
What are some different things you would like to do or accomplish by the end of 2013?
Determine 3 different things (be specific!) you would like to do and/or accomplish by the end of 2013 and write them down on the iGnite-provided goals card provided above.
I don’t know about you, but for me the summer months are fairly unproductive. Maybe it’s the heat mixed in with vacations, but I just can’t seem to find my rhythm, which is why I love September! With school starting, cool temps around the corner and college football (random, but it helps!), I am energized and motivated to get organized, establish a good routine and set goals. September is the fall’s ‘New Year’ and we get a do-over, so let’s take advantage of this ripe goal-setting season and experience magic!
I am an absolute believer in setting goals, creating vision and dream boards and living an intentional life, but I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t need to be consistently inspired to take action. And, not that there is ever a bad time to get serious and set specific goals, but now that the lazy and crazy days of summer are in the rear view mirror and we are entering the final quarter of the year, September is the perfect time to get motivated. Need more convincing? Check out a study conducted on students in the 1979 Harvard MBA program and from the book What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School by Mark McCormack:
In that year, the students were asked, “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” Only 3% of the graduates had written goals and plans; 13% had goals, but they were not in writing; and a whopping 84% had no specific goals at all.
Ten years later, the members of the class were interviewed again, and the findings, while somewhat predictable, were nonetheless astonishing. The 13% of the class who had goals were earning, on average, TWICE as much as the 84% who had no goals at all. And what about the 3% who had clear, written goals? They were earning, on average, TEN TIMES as much as the other 97% put together.
So, do you believe in the power of writing down your goals? Are you motivated to set up to three specific goals for the fall? If so, take some time to determine what three goals (one physical, one mental, one spiritual) you’d like to accomplish by December 25, 2013. We have created the tool below for writing them down. When you’re filling yours out, here’s one more goal setting suggestion:
Focus on the things you want, rather than the things you don’t want, and like the picture above states, choose a friend to share your goals with so he/she can provide you with support and hold you accountable.
…What do YOU think?