Who doesn’t enjoy sitting by the pool or on a patio to enjoy a cold summer beverage with chips and guacamole? Even though guacamole may taste like a splurge, you will be happy to hear that its key ingredient is a super food! We at iGnite have been singing the praises of avocados for years, and now iGnite member and Health Coach Nancy Dacy gives us the full run-down on what makes these little green guys so incredibly fantastic for our bodies:
- An avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable, and many consider it a ‘perfect food.’
- It has 18 amino acids that are required to form a complete protein, and it is used more efficiently by our bodies than the protein in meat.
- It is high in fiber, containing more natural fiber than any other fruit!
- It is free of sodium and cholesterol and provides 20 essential nutrients.
- It is rich in GOOD fats and contains the vitamins A, C, D, E, K and B’s.
- It has more potassium than a banana.
- They are good for your brain and can help prevent Alzheimer’s.
- Avocados are heart healthy: they are full of omega 3’s that help lower blood pressure and will lower LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) and raise HDL (‘good’ cholesterol).
- They are great for expectant mothers as they are full of folic acid.
- They are good for the eyes.
- They are good for your blood sugar: the soluble fiber prevents blood sugar spikes and will help prevent type 2 diabetes, as well.
- They are very anti-inflammatory.
- They are very anti-aging and great for a strong immune system.
- They are great for digestion.
- They can help protect against breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- They will help keep your nervous system healthy.
- They are a very nutritious food for your toddlers and children.
- And, don’t forget the skin! Just mash an avocado and apply directly to your skin. It is closest to your body’s natural skin oil. It will help with sunburn as well.
If you do not like avocados, throw some in the blender with a smoothie. You will get all the benefits without even knowing it is in there. And, if you can…..throw in the seed, too!
So, how much should you eat? We recommend eating up to 1/2 of a medium avocado (or about 1/4 cup) per day.
Pingback: How’s Your Self-Care? | the iGnite Your Life blog
Pingback: The Magic of Coconut Oil | the iGnite Your Life blog
Pingback: Vitamin D: The Healthy Side of Sunshine | the iGnite Your Life blog
Pingback: What Everyone Needs To Know About Sweeteners | the iGnite blog
Pingback: How to Listen to Your Body to Discover Your Food Sensitivities | the iGnite blog