This 3-step total body workout is quick, cardiovascular, appropriate for all fitness levels and requires little or no equipment. It’s a fantastic and easy-to-remember routine to do at home.
Exercises demonstrated by iGnite Leader Jill Watts
Perform each set of exercises between 1 and 3 times (depending on your fitness level), resting 30 seconds or more between each set.
Step #1: Jumping Rope Up to 1 minute
- Look forward and stay light on your toes with bent knees
- Avoid landing on your heals or with your legs locked, which causes jarring and can lead to a back or knee injury
Step #2: Squat Set of 10-20
- Either place hands behind the head, arms at a 90 degree angle by waist or with hands gently placed on the back of a chair.
- Stand with feet hip-width distance apart (6-12 inches)
- Squat, while keeping weight in the heels, eyes forward and chest open. Lift your toes while squatting to keep weight in heels.
- Stand and firm your glutes.
- Safety Tips: To protect the knees, keep weight in the heels. While squatting, avoid knees coming together and keep them at a hip-width distance apart.
Step #3: Push Up Female: *5-15 reps; Male: *10-20 reps
*Depending on fitness level: your last rep should be a struggle, but not such a struggle that you compromise good form.
- Position arms wide at a 90 degree angle, chest stretches between arms, tighten core and firm your glutes to protect the lower back and look at the tip of your mat (don’t allow your head to droop).
- To protect the shoulder and maintain the integrity of a pushup, keep the pace slow as you move up and down and do not exceed a 90 degree angle in your elbows. If your lower back is tender and you’re unable to keep a plank position, lift your hips.