No body is worth more than your body
― Melody Carstairs
iGnite yoga and yogalates leaders (and all-around superstars) Cary Fyfe and Amy Younkman share and demonstrate their favorite travel-ready yoga moves that will help you deepen the level of relaxation and mental clarity you can slip into on vacation this month. Look at our weekly schedule to find the next yoga class you can attend!
Why I love Cat/Cow Pose…
- Benefits: I love this pose because it is a great way to warm up the spine and stretch the torso and neck while focusing on deeply inhaling and exhaling.
- Best When… Try cat/cow pose when your neck and spine are feeling tight or achy, or when you want to tune into your breath to release tension in the body. You can do it in a hotel room, on the beach, or before you leave the house to catch a flight! Try it!
- First start on all fours in table top position, lining up wrists and knees and keeping your head in a neutral position
- Then on the inhale, draw your chest and tailbone up to the sky, allowing your belly to sink down and your eyes to look straight ahead.
- Next on the exhale, reverse the tilt of your pelvis by curling your tailbone down and rounding your spine toward the sky as you release your head towards the floor.
Why I love Tree Pose…
- Benefits: I love this pose because it centers, quiets and balances me, while also strengthening all areas of my body.
- Best When… Try this pose anywhere — either in the middle of the beach, or, for balance support, against a wall or other prop.
- From standing, place the sole of your right foot against your left ankle, shin or thigh. Avoid placing it on the left knee.
- Press the left leg and right foot against one another as you bring your hands to your heart in Prayer Pose.
- When balanced, release your arms overhead and blossom.
Why I love Bridge Pose…
- Benefits: I love bridge pose because it’s great for stretching the chest, neck and spine while calming the mind and stimulating the abdominal organs, lungs and thyroid.
- Best When… Bridge Pose is a great pose to do anytime. It is a great release for the low back while reenergizing the legs, so try it when you arrive at your travel destination. Try it with us!
- While lying on your back, bend your knees and place your feet hip distance apart, about 10-12″ from your sit bones.
- Press your inner feet and arms actively into the floor and lift your hips, keeping your knees directly over your heels.
- Draw your sternum towards your chin and try clasping your hands and reaching your fingers and tailbone towards your heels, creating length in the neck and broadening across the front of the chest.
Why I love Half-Moon Pose…
- Benefits: I love this pose because it is different every time I do it. No matter how far into it I go, it renews and strengthens me each time.
- Best When… Try this pose in your hotel room, either free-standing or against a wall…Try it with us!
- From standing, reach arms overhead
- Grab left wrist with your right hand.
- Stretch upwards, then over to the right, grounding through your feet as you reach upwards. Repeat on other side.
Come join Cary and Amy each week at yogalates in the park or yoga on Lady Bird Lake and perfect your moves before jumping on the plane and doing them on your own!
Not a current iGnite participant? Sign up for a risk-free two week trial and attend Cary and Amy’s classes- and many more- free for one week and at a discounted rate for a second week!
- Family Fitness FUNdamentals
- Stay Active While Away: Your Go-To Travel & Vacation Workout
- Yoga Poses to Relieve Tension in the Shoulders, Neck & Spine
- 3-Step At-Home Total Body Workout